_______________________________________________________________________

Our names are Jon and Joanna Gurr.
We are the creators of royal destiny. The name comes
from the fact that we are both madly in love with Jesus and believe

that because of what He has done for us we have been adopted
by Father God as his son and daughter. We made this blog to write
about our daily lives and the amazing life adventure we are on together.

We hope you will enjoy this site. We know we will enjoy hosting it.
_______________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Shooting A Wasp Nest

The other day when we were at the Collins' house watching their kids (this is the family of Hannah Cate, who I posted about the other day). Their oldest son John Craig (11) came inside and said he had shot at a wasp nest with his BB gun and knocked a few wasps off. Now I know what your thinking, being the responsible adult I am, that I told him to stop because it was dangerous. But, nope, I said, "awesome lets go do it again". So, we went to the front of the house and he showed me the wasp nest. It was a fairly good size one and had about 4-6 wasp hanging off of it, and it had a ton of eggs in the holes of the nest. So, I took the gun took aim and shot. Being the great shot that I am, I shot the whole dang nest down. Now, we were within ten feet of this nest, and John Craig semi whispered "you shot the whole thing down"!!!

Now this brings an off subject question. Why do we whisper when situations like this occur? Last time I checked wasps can't understand us, and I don't even know if they have ears. Yet it is always my first inclination to whisper in those kind of situations also. Just wondering....


So, John Craig says "you shot it down" and I yell "run, John Craig, run". And I mean we took off running. About half way to the side of the house, I realized that I don't sprint at 28 years old quite like I did when I was 18. This became even more evident when we jumped through the bushes to get to the side of the house. I know your thinking that I had this revelation that what we did was dangerous and because of that I told John Craig that we should never do that again. But I didn't. Instead I suggested we sneak around the other side of the house and see what the wasps are doing. So, we sneaked over and as we suspected the wasps were not happy. What was my adult suggestion you ask? It was to shoot won of the angry wasp on the ground. Which we did and caused him to lose a wing and only be able to walk in a circle. I then suggest we steel the fallen nest. So, I sneaked up and quickly took the nest and off we went again. We sprinted back around the house away from the danger, and had a good laugh. It was not until the next morning that I realized I put my legs through alot and, therefore, they made me suffer for two days after the incident. I have to say it was well worth it, though. I haven't had that much fun with a BB gun in years.



This was about the size of the nest

4 comments:

Jen Talley said...

I love that story....I'm sure you and John Craig will be taking about that one for years!!!

Anonymous said...

It is unwise to anger wasps...it is unwise...

They have long memories and one day...one day...

BANG

Anonymous said...

Not quite as long as Buck's bee story but facininating anyway.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Interesting that such an apparently committed Christian should find such pleasure in shooting the wing off a wasp. we are all God's creatures and one day you will be asked to justify your actions.